6.30.2009

fashionisto of the month: gabe covarrubias

alright, so let us again state that we realize "fashionisto" isn't an actual word per se, but if it was it would certainly apply to this months featured style whiz, the man with the sexiest name (and hair!) in denver, mr. gabe covarrubias. 














we managed to snag gabe away from his busy schedule of being a most highly sought after coiffeur, m.cing for the denver roller dolls (in elvis costume nonetheless), staying tight on his star wars/wes anderson trivia skills and generally just making sure everyone is down to party, and got him to answer our famous five questions about fashion.

1. why do you think you're so fashionable?

The benefit of what I do for a living is that I see a constant flow of fashion from my co-workers and  clients.  I feel like I keep it  pretty simple most of the time,  but my style definitely reflects my personality. I have always been drawn to the surf, skate and punk scenes. Within these cultures, styles have been influenced from so many different places, a good example is the hip-hop skate thing. A variety of different cultures combine to create great things in fashion.


2. what is the least fashionable thing about you?

My least fashionable trait would be a tendency to  play it safe with colors.  I saw a guy in a really great dark suit with a loud as hell pink shirt and thought it rocked! I felt like I  could never pull it off.  Maybe I play it a little too safe.


3. what is a secret fashion vice of yours?

My no doubt fashion vice is a way too expensive, well fitting suit. Life is too short.  Any great Elvis man should have at least one incredible suit.  The suit that you wear should make you feel like a million bucks. The suit will create reasons to dress up and hit the town as a better version of you.
























4. what trend or trends do you hate most right now?

Trends I hate?  That’s easy! Ed Hardy Shit.  It might be in a close hate race with Crocs, or even worse, Crocs with socks!  And you can guarantee you're going to hear about how comfortable those Crocs are, because people always feel the need to tell you that.


5. who or what is a fashion inspiration to you?

I have a few favorites but my fashion hero is hands down David Bowie. Ziggy Stardust Bowie was outrageous and brave for the time. Bowie can also kill it on the red carpet in a sharp suit. Why do you think he was in Zoolander?  Because he is fashion icon.  I also dig Bjork, Peaches (The Musician) and Andre 3000 for their forward-thinking fashion sense.


JUNE BONUS QUESTION:
being that you are such a connoisseur of beautiful women (through your job, through roller girls, through your hot girlfriend) and have such an eye for style, what is the main tip you would offer our fashion forward lady readers out there?

For those about to rock ladies, we salute your favorite hair person.  That's right, good hair can do a lot for a shitty day, and it can make a good day even better. Hair is the beginning of the endless possibilities of how you can express your style.  Cut it, color it, curl it, pin it, straighten it, wear it up or wear it down. Find a stylist that you trust and you can add so much to your individual style.



















you, yes you, loyal reader can have a private audience with gabe by making an appointment to get your hairs cut at the parlour highlands---303.433.4448 


or by supporting and cheering for our lovely denver roller dolls at any of their games---www.denverrollerdolls.org


thanks so much gabe!

cheers!

k&e

No comments:

Post a Comment