2.14.2009

get to know us

To know us is to Love us.

Each month we're going to interview a local celeb, or a friend or stranger of a special fashionable status on their general opinions on the subject---and we'll always ask the same five questions. To kick things off, we're going to interview each other!

#1. Why do you think you're so fashionable?
EL: I think I'm fashionable because in my life I've had to be really versatile and accept change and not just stick with one style or look. A lot of things in my life have gone through flux; everything from location to body size to what I'm into and to stay stuck in a rigid fashion pattern would have been unfortunate---I would have missed so many fashion opps. And the times I completely fell off the fashion wagon were really indicative of times when I shut down because I thought I had to look a certain way. The best thing about fashion is that it allows you to express who you are in the moment, and that can be anything.

K: I think I'm fashionable because I don't get too obsessed with one current trend or style. Nothing's worse than locking yourself into one specific look or identity, only to have it kind of go out of style after awhile. I think knowing your own personal style--what you genuinely love wearing--allows you to have a sort of consistent undercurrent, and from that you're able to just keep updating your look. I'd say I'm neutral-fashionable. I wear what I really like and confidence is definitely a big part of being fashionable.

#2. What is the LEAST fashionable thing about you?
EL: The least fashionable thing abut me is that when I come home from work, I just live in these ratty old sweat pants with a wife-beater and ill-fitting hoodie. I usually throw my hair up in a half ponytail and just check out on fashion for the night, which is fine sometimes, but seriously, my poor husband.

K: The least fashionable thing about me is probably my weird fear of being overdressed, which means I usually end up looking way too casual. My closet is stacked full of dresses and heels that I never wear. Its a dumb fear because I always notice other people who are too dressed up and they usually look amazing and fun.

#3. What is a secret fashion vice of yours?
EL: My secret fashion vice is that I will be looking at my various nerd-related websites, like stuff about Harry Potter, or A Song of Ice and Fire, or the Joss Wheadon show Firefly, or Veronica Mars, and there will always be a t-shirt or sweatshirt with the logo for sale (or in the case of Harry Potter a series of scarves) and I will always have like a moment where I seriously think about buying it. And as cool as it is to support things you love with your cash, a Harry Potter t-shirt is never cool.

K: Mine is sequins. I'm forever drawn to things involving sequins---stilettos, dresses, jackets, clutches. I think it comes from when I was little and my mom had this amazing black sequin dress that she wore when she and my dad went to their high school reunion. I remember being so in love with that dress. She eventually gave it to me, but it has shoulder pads so I'm not sure what to do with it. I don't own any sequin items because even though I am secretly obsessed with sequins, I have no real idea if they are actually fashionable or its just some hideous, weird ugly thing only I think is cool.

#4. What current trend or trends do you hate the most right now?
EL: I absolutely hate those big glasses I keep seeing hipster kids wearing. HATE! I just want to rip them off their faces. I like big sunglasses because they give this old school Hollywood air of glamour but big prescription glasses just look you're a dork 9-year old whose mom picked out sale glasses for you at Lens Crafters. There is no reason to deliberately look that way. See-through frames are the worst of the worst. I know only one human on earth who can pull off crazy glasses like that and the trend really should have stopped with her. 

even with the giant scarf, the outfit is ruined by the glasses

K: The Mary-Kate Olson/Mischa Barton headband, lamé leggings, HAREM PANTS (ew! what?), and people with the wrong body type wearing really tight skinny jeans, i.e. girls that are too short and stocky (they look like little turtles) or boys with skinny chicken legs (they look like they would lose in a fight with the weakest person on Earth).

#5. Who or what is a fashion inspiration to you?
EL: This has remained the same for many years: Tank Girl and Audrey Hepburn. Tank Girl (though a comic book character) is the perfect example of just not giving a shit and still looking amazing. Also, she was an early trend-setter with all her crazy layers. Audrey Hepburn because she was just given the gift of absolute high style, even though she would have looked pretty and chic in a potato sack. She wore clothes that were both elegant and accessible. Even in her older years she was high fashion.

K: I always loved Diane Keaton's characters in Manhattan and Annie Hall--timeless and forever casual yet sexy in button down shirts, scarves, jeans, and high-heeled boots. Maybe I just like the 70's. As for celebs, I like Kate Hudson's style a lot. I like women who can consistently keep it ultra-classy while being a little bit of a free spirit. 
Kate in In-Style magazine.

Remember to watch out for our March fashion interview where we will ask these same five questions to a special Denver local in hopes of figuring out how fashionable people make it happen in the queen city of the plains.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. ...and you both apparently dig agua con gas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete